Student & Parent Information
Non- Discrimination Policy
Youth Leadership Conferences grants students of any gender, race, color, orientation, national and/or ethnic origin all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities made available to students admitted to the program and conference.
Applications are accepted only from students in grades 9, 10 & 11 at the time of application.
What to Bring
- Casual dress for the 5 day/4 night conference that is tasteful (see dress code).
- Business Casual attire for award ceremony
- e.g. Dress shirt and slacks, or like modest equivalent
- “Shower kit” e.g., toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, towel, etc.
- Swimsuit (appropriate moderate style) and towel for pool party.
- Pad Lock to secure personal items.
- Pen(s), Pencil(s), and Note pad for taking notes in class sessions
- Refillable Water Bottle, if you have one.
Note: The San Diego Youth Leadership Conference, the Board of Directors for the San Diego Youth Leadership Conference, and the San Diego Youth Leadership Conference staff takes no responsibility for your personal items. The San Diego Youth Leadership Conference, the Board of Directors for the San Diego Youth Leadership Conference, and the San Diego Youth Leadership Conference staff takes no responsibility for lost, stolen or broken items. Your personal items are your responsibility.
What NOT to Bring
Questionable material including, but not limited to, alcohol, tobacco, weapons, non-prescription drugs, pornography, or like-items.
Conference Code of Conduct
- "Horse play" or fighting is not tolerated; attention and participation is the rule.
- All attendees will participate in their assigned patriotic group and will travel in pairs of the same gender.
- Foul language, a.k.a. "cussing", is not tolerated.
- All directions from staff will be followed without question.
- Attendees will keep their room and workspaces clean, and leave them cleaner than they found them.
- Attendees will treat all property that is loaned to them with respect.
- Attendees will stand up when they speak.
- Appropriate usage of personal electronic devices during the conference (e.g. not during class times)
- Most importantly, attendees will be appropriate, respectful, and tactful to everyone at all times.
Housing & Meals
YLC will provide participants with meals and housing during the conference period. Students may bring snacks and drinks or money to purchase at vending machines outside of the provided meals, if they wish.
- Casual dress that is appropriate and must be size appropriate.
- No midriffs, low-cut tops, short shorts, tank tops or low rise jeans/shorts.
- No clothing, accessories, belts or jewelry displaying alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs or look-alikes, sex, illegal substances or messages promoting violence, unsafe or illegal activity.
- Pants or jeans must be worn at the waist. No "sagging" allowed.
- Males will tuck in their shirt and wear a belt
- No hats/covers worn indoors, except for religious purposes.
- No see-through clothing, chains or spiked clothing.
- Shoes are required and must be worn at all times. No flip-flops, sandals, or open toe shoes are allowed save for shower shoes.
Special Notes for Parents & Guardians
Any student who violates the San Diego Youth Leadership Conference rules will be subject to immediate dismissal from the conference. Parents will be called to arrange transportation. The Conference Director will have final determination for all dismissals.